External Events: Events hosted by community partners from within BC. (FSIBC is not responsible for the content, management or facilitation of these sessions. All inquiries and comments are referred directly to event organizers.)
- This event has passed.
Personal Support Network Facilitation – Online Course | Nov 1 – Dec 12, 2021
November 1, 2021 @ 9:00 am - 10:00 am PDT$300
Ending isolation through personal support networks
About the Course
Finding friendship and making personal connections in one’s community can present challenges for us all under the most robust of conditions; for those who are isolated due to disability, illness or old age, developing a personal support network can seem insurmountable. At the heart of Plan Institute is the belief that in creating a caring community with the knowledgeable assistance of a Network Facilitator, a person in isolation can have an active social network playing an important role in bringing resilience, purpose and joy to an otherwise solitary life.
Building on over 25 years of experience in facilitating hundreds of personal support networks for people living in isolation, this online course uses PLAN’s proven approach to provide participants with the knowledge and skills necessary to become a Personal Support Network Facilitator. As a Network Facilitator, you will have the tools to re-chart a life of isolation towards a life at the centre of an active and caring personal support network.
This course was designed by Vickie Cammack, Plan Institute and PLAN co-founder, and the Plan Institute team.
This course consists of four easy to follow modules that are designed to be both practical and inspirational:
- Understanding Personal Support Network facilitation
- Exploration in developing a Personal Support Network
- Formation and maintenance of a network
- Addressing challenges and building confidence
The 25 – 30 hours of course instruction includes:
- Comprehensive, accessible, self-paced, online training. This means that there are no set times in which you must log in to the course, but can complete it at your own pace, within the 6-week window.
- Overview of the principles and theory of Personal Support Network facilitation
- How to develop a network including the three development phases
- How to maintain a network
- Certificate of Completion for those who successfully complete the course requirements
Who should take this course
- This course is designed primarily for individuals working with or living with people who are socially isolated including seniors, people with disabilities and/or chronic health challenges, and youth.
- However, the course is open to anyone, including family members and caregivers who have a loved-one with a disability.
CLICK HERE FOR REGISTRATION INFORMATION
Is there mandatory check in points and course deadlines for this course?
No, there are no mandatory check in points or deadlines associated with this course besides the start and end date. The learner has 6-weeks to complete this course. It is up to the learner to decide when they will sign on and complete the assignments.
Can I take this course even though I am outside of Canada?
Yes! We have had people attend the course from the USA, Australia, South America and many more countries around the world. Since there is no mandatory check ins/deadlines the course can be taken in any time zone.
What happens if something comes up and I can’t finish the course?
Depending on the reason, we can offer the learner an extension or transfer to the next course. This is based on each unique situation and requires conversation with the facilitator and course administrator.
1 seat: $300.00 per seat
5 seats $1200.00 (buy 4 get 1 free)